It is the goal of First-Year Leadership Academy (FYLA) to create an inclusive
and enjoyable environment that prepares the next generation of leaders on the
campus of West Virginia University. FYLA is designed to give students a hands-on experience while enhancing their leadership skills.
FYLA focuses on these specific topics:
L - Leadership & Legacy
E - Exposure
A - Accountability
D - Diversity
E - Experience
R - Reflection
S - Service
H - Humility
I - Integrity & Values
P - Power &Perseverance
As a student learner, you will:
- Discover your leadership style and identify the type of leader you are
- Enhance your leadership skills through varies workshops and hands-on activities
- Work in groups to complete a service project
- Gain knowledge on different campus resources
- Learn effective ways to market yourself
- Develop meaningful relationships with peers and staff
- Build your brand
- Have a mentor to support you through the program
Sign-up on WVUEngage to participate in the Spring 2024 cohort!
A $30 commitment fee is required to secure your spot. Limited financial assistance may be available upon request.
Any questions? Please contact us at SEL@mail.wvu.edu.